Camping

Turner's Creek Landing

In the 18th century, Turner’s Creek was a busy shipping center where local grains were shipped to ports throughout the Chesapeake. An old granary still sits on the site where an earlier version of the structure housed wheat that was shipped to George Washington’s army at Valley Forge. At the mouth of the creek, in May 1813, the British forced a reluctant local, John Stavely, to guide them to Fredericktown. They dropped him off and picked up provisions after raiding the twin ports on May 6th. Today, Turner’s Creek Landing is one of the premier access points on the Sassafras River. Paddlers can spend several hours exploring the creek itself, which contains approximately 2 miles of navigable water at high tide, or venture out to the Sassafras River proper. The beautiful American lotus, featuring showy blooms up to 10” across, can be found throughout the creek, and peak blooming season is from mid-July through mid-August. Downriver, it is 3 miles to the mouth of Lloyd Creek and 5.4 miles to Betterton. Upriver, it is 6 miles to the marinas of Georgetown.Landing: concrete boat rampSuitable for: canoes/kayaks, powerboatsAmenities: rustic bathrooms, picnic pavilion, hiking trailsParking: limited parking adjacent to ramp, ample parking at top of hill preceding rampDirections: Turner's Creek public landing is at the end of Kennedyville/Turner's Creek Road, which can be accessed from MD Route 213.Fees: free for car-top carriers, Kent County ramp permit required for vehicles with trailersManaged By: Kent County (MD) Public Works, 410-778-2600 – please call for current resident/non-resident permit rates 

Turners Creek Public Landing

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus hendrerit. Pellentesque aliquet nibh nec urna. In nisi neque, aliquet vel, dapibus id, mattis vel, nisi. Sed pretium, ligula sollicitudin laoreet viverra, tortor libero sodales leo, eget blandit nunc tortor eu nibh. Nullam mollis. Ut justo. Suspendisse potenti.
Subscribe to RSS - Camping